Friday 30 July 2010

my pop-up boutique






This week I've opened my very own pop-up boutique. As an undeniable shopaholic, I always end up donating far too many wardrobe gems to the chazza's (Charity shops) and so this year I thought why not just use our coach house (a glorified shed) to set up my own boutique and see what I could make.  I'm still donating 10% of proceeds to Charity, do not fear. The boutique offers new, secondhand and vintage clothes from a variety of different destinations and owners as well as a selection of books, bags and accessories. So far I have made £192 and have had a very broad mix of shoppers...perhaps more grannies than I've catered for but oh well!

With some great textures and quite unusual items, I've had good fun snapping away at the 'stock' when business wasn't booming. Have a browse...




















For those of you who haven't seen it, here is the flyer I made (with Stefan's help) and put up in shops, on notice boards and canvased through doors in the village. Same setup for September too.


 I've never worked in a shop but gosh there is a lot your could learn from all the different characters that come in! Within the first 5 seconds it's important to suss out what kind of customer you have and how you're going to play along. Do not underestimate this. I know from my own experience, the way you're treated in a shop can really affect how you feel and how long you spend in the shop...AND of course whether you splash some cash. There are many things I've learnt about people and their customs - a bit anthropology-esque i know, but here are just a few...


1) Working in a shop, sitting there for hours on end, is painfully dull and not something I'll repeat.

2) Many women have firmly decided they are a size - a set number, and are wrong but will not budge.

3) Shoppers seem to panic if they've entered a small room and can't immediately see something that's 'them'. At this point do not look at them nor try to engage in conversation, they may bolt.

4) The impulsive shopper does not stop at one item....in the closing minutes of a sale you can lumber them with anything and everything.

5) It is important to immediately decipher if the customer is a) the talkative shopper or b) the silent shopper, and therefore act accordingly.

6) My small talk skills are now at an all time best.









I've really enjoyed following through with this idea and I think I've had quite a receptive response so I'm hoping to raid some more wardrobes/chests/attics and open up again for the first week of September - just in time for the first week of School....yummy posh-o mummies and needy teenagers galore. chaaaa chingggggg.

PS: Make sure you check out all the stock in my new online shopping blog:
http://sophiebenbowboutique.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment